General

Welcome to the official PenguiNet forum!

Please post your comments, questions, problems, feedback and ideas here – we’re listening.

Start here:

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. PenguiNet as ssh:// Action-Link responder

Is it possible - to modify the Windows OS to open ssh:// Action-Links with PenguiNet? PenguiNet maybe could install this automatic?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. interactive tabs

i using secure crt for years. but now i've changed my employer which doesn't have secure crt. now i'm searching for a lower priced alternative.

what i missed...

- real tabs (in a row...like browsers)
    - tabs that showing me the status of the session (especially a "activity indicator" for sessions in background!!)

both features are a must have for an old secure crt fan. ;)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change profile path for multi-user use

Need it for a central terminal server solution!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show disconnect state on tab

It would be great to show the connection status on the tab icon show in case you have disabled the disconnect message to have a quick status of the connection. Also please add the possibility to reopen a disconnected session by just pressing enter while the tab has focus.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We intend to use overlay icons to show extra information about the sessions (such as what protocol they’re using), so we look into this at that point. I don’t have this commited to a version yet, though.

5. Autmatically backup profiles on close

Automatically backup/export profiles on application close, to a target directory I can choose (may be simply added in export profile tab as a "Do it automatically on each app close" checkbox). I recently crash my system disk, and my manually exported profiles were 12 month old on my data disk... Everything lost !

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Export/Import with Password

Dear PenguiNet Team,

is there a possibility to export the passwords? Our central management server will move to a new machine and after the export/import under tools with 2.54. there was no password stored.
    This is really annoying > we had about 1000 devices listed!

br
    neo

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. play sound on newline

Would be nice to be able to set penguinet to play a sound when a new line is entered on the terminal. Good for a timely reminder when a long-running job is completed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. add more supported protocols

Would you consider adding http and https protocol support?

These could effectively be links to the ms url protocol handler, and open in the default browser when clicked.

this would help me use penguinet to store my host information for any servers which include a web gui such as zentyal, proxmox, endian firewall, etc.

Obviously authentication information couldn't be stored but that responsibility would be handed off to the browser.

Later on, perhaps other protocols could be registered such as rdp and vnc but I suppose that is drifting in a non-penguin-shaped direction...

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Set defaults for "quick connect"?

Is it / would it be possible to set the default terminal type and UTF-8 option in the "quick connect" dialog? It seems to default to "Linux" but I'd prefer "VT100".

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Alpha on main window and shells, auto-hidden for toolbars.

You use a lot of window resize to copy paste from other applications don't you? See further !!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Sync with other apps - (and how to export ssh private keys)

For on the go usage, sync with connectbot (android) all my connections would be fantastic. Trying to get round that at the moment using ssh keys, but cannot figure out how to export a private key from penguinet in a format connectbot will like (ssh1-rsa)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "Default" session doesn't save the SSH2 keypair setting

If I try to select an SSH2 key pair for the "Default" session in the connection profiles dialog the setting isn't saved next time I go back into it (dropdown list is just blank).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ditch the "Authentication agent not forwarded" warning

I like to leave authentication agent forwarding switched on as most of my servers support it. However, some don't and the "authentication agent not supported" pop up box appears. I'm not sure this *modal* warning box is that helpful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. search for connection profile

I lterally have hundreds of servers and virtual servers to monitor and maintain. I need the ability to search the connection profiles for a conection profile name and have the connection profile tree expand or open up to a specific connection profile.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SFTP support?

As far as I've seen in the shareware version of PenguiNet, there's no SFTP support? Is this in the paid version? If not, is it planned? I do see that PenguiNet has SCP support, and yes it may be faster, but I believe SFTP should at least be an option. SFTP supports many more file operations then SCP does, and it has other various advantages that would be nice to see in PenguiNet!

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel, We’re glad somebody’s mentioned it! We’ve been planning to add SFTP support for a long time, but it hasn’t made it on to the list yet because nobody’s been asking for it. It won’t be in the next version, but hopefully it will have enough votes to be in the version after that.

16. Change cursor color

In PuTTY, we had the ability to change the cursor color - which we used to gently remind us what environment we were connected to - production/test/dev/etc. I don't see that option under Appearance or Colour Scheme. Please add this feature. Thanks!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In the send commands, I have a sudo then a cd. Works. If I change the dir to cd to, it stops working

In the send commands, I have sudo then a cd commands. Works. If I change the dir to cd into, it stops working. I've tried everything, including just cd /home. I've encountered this numerous times and figured I'd mention it. I don't know if it's the pause in the sudo authentication or what....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to specify custom directory where settings and profiles are kept

Would it be possible to do this? VanDyke's SecureCRT does this which I find very helpful as my company requires that I store the settings and profiles on an encrypted disk if I want to be able to work from home. By using a custom folder and setting it to the encrypted disk I'm able to make a change to the settings or profiles at home and have it picked up automatically at work and vice-versa.

I really like PenguiNet and would like o switch to it from SecureCRT but this is a deal-breaker for me at the moment.

Thanks…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    How many of the settings do you need to be stored on the encrypted disk? Absolutely everything, or just the details for connecting to a host? Would using an encrypted USB stick be an option?

19. Pub Keys not showing in Connection Setup area

I am trying to setup a connection using SSH with Pub Key auth. My newly created key is not showing in the drop down for SSH2. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Rich

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve the tab appearance

I love the titlebar/status configurations, but can you do the same for the tabs? I frequently have 10-20 windows open, and it's difficult to distinguish between them. It would be nice to have 2 fields here, tab display and tab hover. The idea would be something like my tab shows "box1234", but when I hover over it it gives the full detail (e.g. box1234 - Fabrication test box). For now I've using descriptive profile names, but adding a description to the profile would really be helpful for this as well.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering adding an option to Connection Profiles > Appearance to allow you to define the tab name / mouse-over and also simply displaying much more information in the mouse-over.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base