General

Welcome to the official PenguiNet forum!

Please post your comments, questions, problems, feedback and ideas here – we’re listening.

Start here:

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. # does not show up

When trying to type a "#" in SSH session it does not show up. Whats wrong?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Frank, Thanks for the report. In connection profiles, under “Login”, what do you have “Terminal type” set to? Are you using SSH, Telnet or Serial? Which font are you using? What country are you in (more specifically, what country’s keyboard layout are you using)?

2. Z-Modem support

Implementing z-modem support, with resume.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. line break

Issue Detect line break Automatically

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the ability to clear the scroll buffer

Add an option to clear the scroll buffer. Sometimes, while debugging a large amount of build output, I find it easier to just throw away the scroll buffer so I can easily tell where I'm at in my output stream.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow tab renaming

I should be able to rename a tab. For example, right click -> rename. Sometimes I'll open quite a few windows to a build box. I'd like to be able to rename them based on what product I'm working on. So this isn't a case of a different profile, just more of a temporary rename for that session.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Clone session/new tab position

Please add an option to insert the new tab for a cloned session after the current tab instead of adding it to the end.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. tab behavior

Clicking on an active tab causes the focus to shift to the neighboring tab. Clicking on the same tab again brings the focus back. Clicking on an active tab should *never* cause it to lose focus. The difference in appearance between the active tab and other tabs is fairly small, so it is easy to get confused about which tab is active.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We had originally modelled it on how the Windows Start Bar works but I think we will look to make it work more like tabbed browsing on Internet Explorer, Chrome et al.

8. Win7 progress bar

When downloading with SCP, add a progress bar in the taskbar's icon (like Chrome, Steam, etc..)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. drag multiple connections

i am doing an initial setup of penguinet, and have 200+ connections to put in a folder. i spoofed the xml to load the connections, but am finding that i have to select & drag each one separately to the folder rather than being able to select & drag the whole bunch at once. it would be great to be able to perform functions (drag, open, scp, edit shared parameters) on all selected connections at the same time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Server Tabbar function to resize/grow

It would be nice if penguinet can resize the taskbar/servertabs like in ms windows the taskbar. So it is possible to connected to more servers and keep the overview of all. I have generell the problem that I have to many tabs open. This would solve the problem

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. vi

Hi, version 2.53 (I ugpgraded this morning) appears to ignore the escape key in vi. I realise I can use Ctrl-C in this version, but have a preference for escape. Is escape likely to make a comback?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Gill,
    Which older version are we comparing with here? What OS and version is running on your remote host? Does changing “Terminal type” on the “Login” tab in Connection Profiles fix this for you?

12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

James, which version are you using? Newer versions come with an option in Send Commands, “Hide text to be sent”, meaning you could use Send Commands for this without exposing a password.

13. show .. in SCP directory listing

Showing .. in directory listing allows easier keyboard navigation without having to go for mouse every time I need to go up a directory. I can hit Enter on directories to go into them, but have no keyboard method to get back.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. If possible, we’d prefer not to add “..”. The aim is to make an Explorer-like interface, and this isn’t something that Explorer does.

Would keyboard shortcuts work for you? We could make alt+left, alt+up and backspace all go to the directory above…

14. persistent session manager

hey, I work at a company with many servers. I am connected to at least 5 at a time, and I would be connected to many more, but the problem is when I get disconnected, I have to manually reconnect to everything.

penguinet handles this decently well currently, as I can just click reconnect.. but, I will typically SSH from one server to another (due to how we have security setup), and if I get disconnected I still have to do all this manually.

also, a reboot will of course force me to open a connection to each server again.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. You can do something approaching what you want already: within “Send commands” on the “Login” tab, you can set up a script to ssh from some server on to another server.

On the “Options” tab, you can set a parent profile to connect to a bunch of profiles underneath it (“Connect to all children”).

I realise this isn’t quite what you’re after, but as a stopgap solution, you may find it helpful.

15. Save & load groups of sessions

Everytime I open penguinet I open four different connections, and then tile them horizontally. it would be great to be able to:

1) Save a group of connections, and their window locations so you can load the entire group at once and restore your workspace.

2) Have "Reconnect" windows appear in the exact same place/size as the original window.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Throttle scp data transfer

When transfering data and working on the same server, scp will exhaust all of the bandwidth thus making it difficult to work. This would be solved by adding the option to throttle the scp connection

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Middle mouse scroll in vim.

The thing I like most about gnome-terminal is the fact that it understands the middle mouse scroll. Especially in vim. Penguinet is a freaking amazing and it would awesome if this worked.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Snippets - commands we can pre-write and auto-run

I'm coming from SSH Explorer and they had this neat toolbar up top that allowed you to create groups and custom commands. Then all you had to do was select the group and you could auto-run that command you wrote. It is kinda like having batch scripts ready to go in your ssh client. Was great for installing/running scripts that I have to do almost on a daily basis with the servers I manage. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, go download the SSH Explorer free trial and see how they have it.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. URL's should launch a browser

Among hundreds of other things we use a terminal client for, we keep a company IRC channel open.

URL's which are entered on-channel have to be manually copied/pasted ito a browser, which is suboptimal.

Please - consider including this functionality in future versions.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base