General

Welcome to the official PenguiNet forum!

Please post your comments, questions, problems, feedback and ideas here – we’re listening.

General

Categories

1. I use empty an pass-phrase for my ssh key on my home network (for convenience, didn't see the need for the extra level of security here).
    Would be nice if you could add support for that.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I've been using Penguinet for what might be 10 years now. I love it. It's great. And whenever I use Putty I hate it.

BUT

When I log in to a server with public/private key pair, I have to do the following dance:

First, I enter my password for the key and get:

"You've chosen public key login but the server has been unable to authenticate you, would you like to attempt automatic authentication?"

I say NO. I then get:

"The connection to [server] has been closed because the remote host closed the connection normally"

I say RECONNECT. Penguinet then…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please could we have the option to add a "side bar" showing the connection profiles down the right side of the main window. A bit like showing the bookmarks in Firefox. This wil show which profiles are connected and allow you to fire up a new one. Similar to MS's Remote Desktop Connection Manager, but for SSH obviously.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. well, I cannot select anything from drop-down list. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18298016/pictures/Untitled-1.png

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You’re probably using SSH2 and need to select one of your SSH2 keys from the combo just below the one open in your screenshot. If you see no keys there either, try adding the key via Tools|Manage keypairs.

5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Would you consider adding http and https protocol support?

These could effectively be links to the ms url protocol handler, and open in the default browser when clicked.

this would help me use penguinet to store my host information for any servers which include a web gui such as zentyal, proxmox, endian firewall, etc.

Obviously authentication information couldn't be stored but that responsibility would be handed off to the browser.

Later on, perhaps other protocols could be registered such as rdp and vnc but I suppose that is drifting in a non-penguin-shaped direction...

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I like to leave authentication agent forwarding switched on as most of my servers support it. However, some don't and the "authentication agent not supported" pop up box appears. I'm not sure this modal warning box is that helpful.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. You use a lot of window resize to copy paste from other applications don't you? See further !!!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I lterally have hundreds of servers and virtual servers to monitor and maintain. I need the ability to search the connection profiles for a conection profile name and have the connection profile tree expand or open up to a specific connection profile.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. In the send commands, I have sudo then a cd commands. Works. If I change the dir to cd into, it stops working. I've tried everything, including just cd /home. I've encountered this numerous times and figured I'd mention it. I don't know if it's the pause in the sudo authentication or what....

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I am trying to setup a connection using SSH with Pub Key auth. My newly created key is not showing in the drop down for SSH2. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Rich

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When trying to type a "#" in SSH session it does not show up. Whats wrong?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Frank, Thanks for the report. In connection profiles, under “Login”, what do you have “Terminal type” set to? Are you using SSH, Telnet or Serial? Which font are you using? What country are you in (more specifically, what country’s keyboard layout are you using)?

13. Can you please add the feature (which is in SecureCRT and Putty) to add dynamic ssh port forwarding. This would be very useful for me and my operations team.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Would it be possible to do this? VanDyke's SecureCRT does this which I find very helpful as my company requires that I store the settings and profiles on an encrypted disk if I want to be able to work from home. By using a custom folder and setting it to the encrypted disk I'm able to make a change to the settings or profiles at home and have it picked up automatically at work and vice-versa.

I really like PenguiNet and would like o switch to it from SecureCRT but this is a deal-breaker for me at the moment.

Thanks…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    How many of the settings do you need to be stored on the encrypted disk? Absolutely everything, or just the details for connecting to a host? Would using an encrypted USB stick be an option?

15. One of the things we do right now is execute the same commands on many servers simultaneously. For instance to update all proprietary software or to verify configuration. It would be nice to be able to send any arbitrary command to all open windows ( anything from a simple ls, to the execution of a script file) so that I type 'ls -al' once, but see the output of that on all 16 open windows.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. i am doing an initial setup of penguinet, and have 200+ connections to put in a folder. i spoofed the xml to load the connections, but am finding that i have to select & drag each one separately to the folder rather than being able to select & drag the whole bunch at once. it would be great to be able to perform functions (drag, open, scp, edit shared parameters) on all selected connections at the same time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It would be nice if penguinet can resize the taskbar/servertabs like in ms windows the taskbar. So it is possible to connected to more servers and keep the overview of all. I have generell the problem that I have to many tabs open. This would solve the problem

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Implementing z-modem support, with resume.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Issue Detect line break Automatically

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hi, version 2.53 (I ugpgraded this morning) appears to ignore the escape key in vi. I realise I can use Ctrl-C in this version, but have a preference for escape. Is escape likely to make a comback?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Gill,
    Which older version are we comparing with here? What OS and version is running on your remote host? Does changing “Terminal type” on the “Login” tab in Connection Profiles fix this for you?

• Don't see your idea?