General

Welcome to the official PenguiNet forum!

Please post your comments, questions, problems, feedback and ideas here – we’re listening.

General

Categories

1. Would really like windows to have the option of being transparent, much like the ubuntu terminals, especially when they are detached.

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Clicking on an active tab causes the focus to shift to the neighboring tab. Clicking on the same tab again brings the focus back. Clicking on an active tab should never cause it to lose focus. The difference in appearance between the active tab and other tabs is fairly small, so it is easy to get confused about which tab is active.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We had originally modelled it on how the Windows Start Bar works but I think we will look to make it work more like tabbed browsing on Internet Explorer, Chrome et al.

3. I should be able to rename a tab. For example, right click -> rename. Sometimes I'll open quite a few windows to a build box. I'd like to be able to rename them based on what product I'm working on. So this isn't a case of a different profile, just more of a temporary rename for that session.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I love the titlebar/status configurations, but can you do the same for the tabs? I frequently have 10-20 windows open, and it's difficult to distinguish between them. It would be nice to have 2 fields here, tab display and tab hover. The idea would be something like my tab shows "box1234", but when I hover over it it gives the full detail (e.g. box1234 - Fabrication test box). For now I've using descriptive profile names, but adding a description to the profile would really be helpful for this as well.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering adding an option to Connection Profiles > Appearance to allow you to define the tab name / mouse-over and also simply displaying much more information in the mouse-over.

5. We need the ability to sudo to another user when performing secure copies.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Showing .. in directory listing allows easier keyboard navigation without having to go for mouse every time I need to go up a directory. I can hit Enter on directories to go into them, but have no keyboard method to get back.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. If possible, we’d prefer not to add “..”. The aim is to make an Explorer-like interface, and this isn’t something that Explorer does.

Would keyboard shortcuts work for you? We could make alt+left, alt+up and backspace all go to the directory above…

7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

James, which version are you using? Newer versions come with an option in Send Commands, “Hide text to be sent”, meaning you could use Send Commands for this without exposing a password.

8. When transfering data and working on the same server, scp will exhaust all of the bandwidth thus making it difficult to work. This would be solved by adding the option to throttle the scp connection

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Everytime I open penguinet I open four different connections, and then tile them horizontally. it would be great to be able to:

1) Save a group of connections, and their window locations so you can load the entire group at once and restore your workspace.

2) Have "Reconnect" windows appear in the exact same place/size as the original window.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I'm coming from SSH Explorer and they had this neat toolbar up top that allowed you to create groups and custom commands. Then all you had to do was select the group and you could auto-run that command you wrote. It is kinda like having batch scripts ready to go in your ssh client. Was great for installing/running scripts that I have to do almost on a daily basis with the servers I manage. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, go download the SSH Explorer free trial and see how they have it.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. It would be sweet if you could clone a scp session from a window and it would then drop you into your current directory. I know there's no easy way to do this cause your current directory isnt available to penguinet. If you guys ever figured that out it would be cool too if you could clone a terminal session and have it drop you into that sessions current directory. Penguinet is awesome! keep up the good work

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hello,

I would like to request an option that will be capable of hiding scrollbar.

Thanks.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I have many profiles and it's a nuisance to get the same always used aliases into each single unix-shell... and perhaps my colleagues or the customer don't like these aliases (which they get with their standard-login).

The solution could be to have something like Word-Auto-Completion. If I type #t5 penguinet might translate it automatically to "tail -500lf"...
    Could be profile-scheme-dependent or general.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You could already do something similar with keyboard mappings (definable under Tools|Keyboard mappings). Here, you could define Ctrl+T to paste the text “tail -500lf”. Does that help, or do you really want multi-key aliases?

15. I'd like to have the ability to open several connections at once in a consistent, recallable "workspace" layout.

EG: Open load monitoring connections on all our servers (profiles are already configured to run "top") and tile them the same way every time.

I should be able to:
    - open connections and arrange them the way I want them to be forevermore
    - hit "Save Workspace" and give the workspace a name
    - recall the workspace from the profiles window (could be a separate root tree below the profiles)

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I have some machines to which I can not make a direct connection, but I have to connect via another machine (also via ssh). This is partially possible now by using the "send commands" feature of Penguinet, but it is not very convenient and does not work for SCP sessions. WinSCP supports this already

74 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is already technically possible (see below), but I see your point. We could make this easier, such as building a dependency between connections.

Do this by:
    1. Starting a first connection with a tunnel (from local-machine port 2222, via machine A, to machine B port 22, say)
    2. Start a second connection via that tunnel (setting in profiles
    window: host localhost, port 2222).

17. It would be great to be able to make/take canned config files (routers, etc) and upload them line by line automatically like in hyperterm. (see transfer menu in hyperterm)

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Your response to my last question (thanks!) pointed me to the Connection Profiles' Input tab, which has a "Send Backspace as Ctrl-?" option.
    When this is turned on, Ctrl-h in emacs (which apparently should invoke help) sends a backspace.
    When it's turned off, Ctrl-h invokes help but so does Backspace.
    In both cases, direct entry of Ctrl-? seems to do nothing.
    Backspace to Delete is an obvious solution, but backspace then doesn't work in the minibuffer (it appears as DEL rather than removing the previous character).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Synchronize files/directories between Local and Remote sources

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

PenguiNet already has a feature to allow local files to be uploaded automatically after editing. Would that help?

In general, the concept of synchronisation sounds useful. Please can you provide more information on the kind of features you would use?

20. Asking if I want to import my profiles from PuTTY: Very cool! Giving me the option to re-import those profiles after I accidentally screw something up: even cooler.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?