Start here:

Add support for client-side scripting

It would be nice if a Penguinet session could be initiated and controlled from a script. This would allow us to automate SSH sessions (for example, to automate changes to equipment). I'd like the capability to either launch Penguinet from a batch file specifying a script to run or have API access to Penguinet functions from an existing scripting language (VBScript, Perl, etc.) The feature should not require any user interaction via GUI.

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Neal Garber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Adminsiliconcircus (Admin, PenguiNet) responded  · 

You can already get part-way to what you want to do. Take a look at Help|Contents→Getting started|Command line options and Session|Connection profiles→Send commands. It’s not full scripting, but it will allow you to start PN from a batch file and execute a series of commands.

We’ll review the options for scripting.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scott Stirling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a COM API? Could you document and expose yours? That would allow scripting of the GUI at least. But it sound like the original poster wants to use PenguiNet as a command line ssh client, in which case, why not use ssh and expect in Cygwin or something?

Feedback and Knowledge Base